Tuesday, June 23, 2009

::Day 5:: Anniversary Gift

This particular morning I was having trouble sleeping again and so went out to watch another gorgeous sunrise before trying to fall back asleep. The view was stunning as expected. God is so creative.
So during the day the sun was so intense down in St Maarten. I'm not sure why... Joe thinks its cause we were closer to the equator or something but the UV rays were smoking! We could spend 20 minutes in the sun and be two shades darker by the end of it! Great for tanning black men... sad for burning white women :)

So to give our skin just a little more of a break Joe and I hit Philipsburg, about a mile from our place to do some shopping... little did I know the treat I was headed in for :)

I had made the comment at one point how much fun it would be to get a piece of jewelry that would remind me of the blue water. And Joe took note! (good man!) Our shopping trip turned into spending the whole day going to EVERY jewelry store they had... and if you've ever been to the Caribbean you would know that that is A LOT of stores :) We had such a fun time looking at all the jewelry... or should I say I loved looking at the jewelry and Joe loved the bargaining and haggling prices while drinking the free beer they gave you!! haha

By the end of the day we had settled on the prize. My Baby splurged and I am now the proud and undeserving owner of a 1K blue and white diamond ring to celebrate our 1 year anniversary and this fabulous vacation!! Spoiled??? I'd say so!! Thank you Lord for no tax or duty charges in the Caribbean that made this baby possible :)


Isn't it amazing... the blue diamonds are the EXACT color of the water. Just what I wanted :) So every time I look at my ring I can see the water color. Totally awesome!


After shopping we wondered Philipsburg's beach. The stores are located on the beach... kinda like you might think of a boardwalk... only much nicer :) Philipsburg is where all the cruise ships come in and stay for the day. Joe and I decided that even though neither of us have been on a cruise ship before, we think that hands down its a better vacation to stay a week on the island. You just get to enjoy so much more of the island's beauty and brilliance. Everyone on the cruise ships would get off and run around like crazy into all the "tourist traps" trying to pack their day with as much as possible. Being there for a week seemed like it was just so much more relaxing!

When we were stuck in traffic the day before we found another restuarant that had been highly suggested to us by a local woman. So tonight was the night to check it out... all you can eat ribs for $12!!
At the Lady C, local women would stand at the grills just cooking ribs all night and you sat on a boat where they delivered them to you. The ribs were amazing and add to it the fact that Joe could eat till he was full, a gorgeous cool Caribbean breeze, the stars really bright above you, and watching fisherman catch tomorrow's lobster... it was such a fun way to end the evening :)
So for those of you who really are enjoying our pics, look forward to Day 6 where we take you on a little tour of our gorgeous resort and we visit Orient Bay with amazingly clear blue water and white sand!

1 comment:

BeccaC said...

Go Joe! Your ring is gorgeous Kristen, love the blue :)