Friday, June 19, 2009

::Day 3:: Driving around St. Maarten

Monday was a rather cloudy day so we saw it as a perfect opportunity to take a drive around the whole island. We had been told that one of the most recommended activities is to beach hop while there as each beach had a different look and feel from the next. So we packed a hefty lunch, a couple water bottles, and headed out for the day. We thought we could not only get to enjoy St Maarten but also scope out which places we would like to come back to later in the week.
But before I get into our trip around the 37 square mile island... I must say that with being in such a beautiful place you can't help but think of Heaven and one day being with our magnificent Creator. And Monday morning before we had left, God met Joe and I in a powerful way. We had brought Randy Alcorn's book, "In Light of Eternity" and God was opening our hearts to the beauty and undeserved glory that Heaven is. I think this particular moment will go down as one of my favorite memories of our trip. Joe and I are sitting in our livingroom looking out to the gorgeous mountains and crystal blue water worshiping, crying, reading Revelations, and fellowshipping with our Savior looking forward to the place we will one day be with him. We were so struck at how much more the cross seemed glorious when we looked at it in light of Heaven. Because Jesus died for us and saved us from God's wrath... we were going to BE WITH Jesus one day! God met us powerfully and I can't believe that we're actually going to one day enjoy a place that is perfect and filled with the beauty of God. Amazing.

So with hearts filled with praise... we headed out to enjoy the taste of Heaven he had given us on earth :) And as a little side note, because the day was so cloudy/rainy many of the pics of the water are not as clear and blue as the water actually is. We learned that the sunnier the day, the bluer the water. Kinda cool, huh?

Guana Bay

Dawn Beach
Oyster Pond

Orient Bay near Coconut Grove
Grand Case
A random structure that we think was a "House of Worship" or something

Marigot (the Capitol of St Maarten)

Nettle Bay
This was a restaurant and one of their tables located on the beach. Many of them looked like this, all nestled into the jungle :)

Maho

This is beach where the airport was located. I loved the signs!
We waited for a plane to take off and I was so focused on watching it that I totally missed a prime photo-op. The signs were NO JOKE! We stood to the side while watching the plane prepare to take off but there were a few guys who stood on the beach directly behind it. When the engines began to roar the people were literally picked up by the wind and thrown through flying sand and flipped into the water! It was hilarious! Dangerous I'm sure! But these guys had known what was coming and on their own free will waited to do it :) Like I've said before... "It may be stupid but if they are willing to do it, I'm willing to watch!" Sadly didn't get any pictures of it though :(
Once we got home, I was really tuckered out. So after a nap and dinner we went to the pool to just sit out, enjoy the breeze, read, and relax.
And there is my husband. Score for me! I not only got a godly one but quite the studly hottie too!! :)
It's so kind of God and Dad and Mom Catoe that we got to take this trip! I still can't believe we were there... but posting these pictures makes me sad... I WANT TO GO BACK!! haha

And for Day 4 be looking for a totally awesome Anniversary Gift from my Love :)

1 comment:

megan haughery said...

we went to st. maarten for our honeymoon 9 years ago, and i just wanted to tell you i'm thoroughly enjoying your posts and pics. i miss that place! :)