Tonight, Joe and I were in the car and a country song came on the radio that I’ve never heard before. We sat there driving and listened to the slow paced melody play out. The lyrics drew me in and although the storyline of the song was different then my life these past 7+ months, it hit a cord with me. I wasn’t anticipating that by the end of that song I would cry.
It’s about a young girl and guy whose lives change overnight. The girl was in an accident and ended up in a wheelchair, unable to walk. When the boy she loves walks into the hospital room this is what he hears her say to him…
She said, I'll walk.
Please come and hold my hand.
Right now I'm hurt, and I don't understand.
Lets just be quiet, and later we can talk.
Please stay, don't worry.
I'll walk.
I held her hand through everything.
The weeks and months of therapy.
And I held her hand and asked her, to be my bride.
She's dreamed from a little girl, to have her daddy bring her down the isle.
So from her wheelchair, she looks up to him and smiles.
And says, I'll walk.
Please hold my hand.
I know that this will hurt, I know you understand.
Please daddy don't cry.
This is already hard.
Let's go, don't worry.
I'll walk.
Funny how God can meet me in the strangest ways sometimes J Through this little country song, God reminded me of his unending faithfulness and love toward me. I saw the past 8 months of my life quickly replay; getting married to my best friend, living in the honeymoon bliss. Then overnight, three weeks after our marriage, unexpectedly becoming very sick with a bizarre mix of symptoms that ultimately led to my inability to do anything on my on. Months of doctor’s visits, unanswered questions, and deep heart felt pleas before the throne of mercy.
The reason I cried at the end of the song though was because the thought came to me, “But now… where I am?” I have been diagnosed with an “undiagnosable” disease and there are still many unknowns but I’m not like that girl in the song. She only hoped to walk again and I’m on the road to recovery. God is healing me. I still am unable to work or drive but my convulsions only come like once a week instead of several times a day and they are nowhere near as intense. My speech is almost always normal. My headaches don’t come as often. My muscles don’t become tense and tingle and ache as much as they used to. I can walk most days and my wheelchair is being allowed to collect a bit of dust in between needing to use it. My days are more predictable. I can do more normal things like make dinners for Joe and I, go to church on Sunday, attend my care group… and by golly, this weekend I’m planning on attending a weekend “getaway” with the married ladies in my care group. Amazing! Truly, absolutely, positively, amazing!
So as I spent a few minutes reflecting today on how much God has been blessing me, I just wanted to take a second and thank you again. Thank you for how so many of you have faithfully prayed for me. Thank you for how you have served Joe and I through all this. Thank you for caring for us and in so many ways displaying Christ’s love for us in very practical ways. We are so grateful and are rejoicing that I am continuing to get better.
Great is His faithfulness unto me!!!
4 comments:
Oh, I forgot to mention. The song I found out is by Bucky Covington and called, "I'll Walk"
We continue to pray for you...and if I forget,the kiddos quickly remind me. I will be able to give them your encouraging report...you are right, great is His faithfulness!
Rejoicing with you,
love,
Kathi and gang
such happy news my friend. I am praying and so grateful to see so many evidences of you feeling better.--especially you cleaning out boxes... :-P
i just heard that song the other day while i was driving and by the end i was thinking how ridiculously sappy i was because i was crying.
i am so glad to hear that you are continuing to improve. God is so faithful! :)
Post a Comment