Today is a “special” day. Today marks two months of my illness and in less then a week it will be three months of marriage for Joe and I. It’s been a challenging couple of months… and a very different lifestyle then I would have ever pictured the first months of my marriage looking like BUT God has been so good in the midst of it. Our church and especially the Catoe and Ryan families have cared for us so well, really modeling the body of Christ to us. They have made us countless meals, run to the grocery store for us, come to our house to clean and straighten up, picked up my laundry and brought it back all nicely folded and fresh, they’ve taken me out on my “better” days, driven us to doctor’s appointments, given us care packages and cards and letters and emails to encourage us, prayed for us and counseled us, and I could go on and on. There are so many people willing to serve us in so many ways. Joe and I have had the glorious problem of having to turn away offer after to offer simply because there is not a need. We are so blessed.
I’m reading this book that a friend gave me about a young woman, also newly married, who began suffering with physical sickness. Although this girl’s symptoms are different and much worse then mine, there are many things that are said in this book that I can relate too. This quote in particular brought me to tears as it quite simply summed up the greatest means of grace that I too am experiencing in this season… “It’s still really hard, but not only are church people there for me but also God has provided me companionship in a way few women experience: the unconditional, undivided love and devotion of the godliest man I could have ever asked for.”
By God’s amazing and undeserved grace, this is my experience. My best friend, my heart’s companion, the love of my life is truly my hero through this season. Joe’s love and devotion for me is unconditional and undivided. The verses in 1 Corinthians that are oh so familiar to all of us have come alive in my life as I’ve watched the godliest man I could ever ask for model them out for me. God has poured much grace out on his life and I am one blessed woman to be able to see it and be directly affected by it.
“Love is patient and kind”
These two words sum Joe up. He is so patient and kind as he listens to me, cares for my needs, and encourages and confronts me even if it means putting his own agenda aside for a while.
“Love does not envy or boast”
I haven’t heard Joe complain once about this season of trial. He doesn’t envy his friends who are in “easier” seasons of life but with joy he embraces where God has him. He also doesn’t boast about the grace that is in his life and how much he’s able to handle but is always pointing back to the Lord and seeking others for wisdom and counsel.
“It is not arrogant or rude”
Joe continually fights to put pride to death in his life. He isn’t arrogant or rude but quick to confess when he senses that he is relying on himself and turns to dependence on the Lord and seeking the wisdom of others. Joe is a humble and gracious man.
“It does not insist on its own way”
Simply put, Joe doesn’t put his own agenda first but submits with joy to the Lord’s will on his life. I’ve seen this clearly displayed through this trial.
“It is not irritable or resentful”
Instead Joe is one of the most joyful and content men that I know.
“It does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth”
Joe doesn’t allow me to wallow in my sin. When I am struggling Joe ever so kindly will confront me and talk and listen to me for as long as it takes. He is quick to confront sin and turn our attention to truth. Even when the truth is hard to believe Joe rejoices in it and proclaims it.
“Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.”
Thank you, Joe. Thank you for bearing in this trial. Thank you for believing in God’s promises first proclaimed to us in the gospel. Thank you for hoping in faith that God will heal me. Thank you for the way you have endured in this trial. Thank you for promising to me that your love will never end. Thank you for modeling Christ’s love for the church by giving up yourself for me. I love you Joe and I am honored to have your last name and to walk with you through whatever God brings for the rest of our lives. You are the love of my life.
3 comments:
Kristen,
Our care group at Christ Our Redeemer in Vancouver, WA has been praying for you and Joe. Our pastor, Dan Morse, alerted us to your situation. On a personal level, you are such an inspiration to me. You remind me that Christ says "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Thank you!
Kristen,
What a testimony of the lavish grace the Lord bestows especially in the midst of trials. Thanks for honoring your hubby...well done Joseph (I'm not used to calling him Joe yet :)!!
We are continuing to pray for you in NJ!Thanks for your example of looking up in the midst of the storm.
Blessings,
kathi
So....like....are there more "Joe's" out there???? Share the love, girl! Where'd ya get him? :o)
Love and miss and prayin for you!
Post a Comment