Monday, August 11, 2008

We’ve Gotten the Call

Late last week Johns Hopkins called to tell us that we’ll be heading back to be admitted for a week to the EMU (Epilepsy Monitoring Unit) beginning next Tuesday, August 19.

Here’s an idea of what we’ve been told the week there will look like… In addition to IVs and all the regular hospital jazz, I will be in a room where there is 24 hour video monitoring (haha, including microphones) to help in observing any convulsions that might occur. I’ll be hooked up to an EKG for the purpose of monitoring my heart and I’ll have little stickers pasted all over my head attached to the wall via wires for the EEG monitoring of my brain waves. And girls, you’ll appreciate this one… because of the wires on my head I’m not allowed to wash my hair or shower while I’m there… haha, umm… GROSS!!! I’m also not allowed to leave the room and will primarily only be able to be in the bed or in a chair next to the bed because the minimal length of wires on my head.

So as you can guess, we’re anticipating that this won’t be one of the most fun or comfortable weeks :) But we’re soooo grateful and thankful that our merciful God is allowing me to be seen at Johns Hopkins. These are some of the “best doctors” and to live so close to them that this kind of testing is more easily made available to us is amazing. We’re so grateful.

Because of the preparations that we need to do in getting ready to go, the fact that both Joe’s and my computers won’t be useable for a few days due to repairs and updates, and then because there is no internet at the hospital… I won’t be able to post here again for a good while. BUT once we’re back, I’ll be sure to give you all an update.

Please pray for us as we prepare for the visit and while we’re there. We obviously would love to have some answers but are resting and at peace knowing that God is the one sovereignly in control of this visit. He not only knows what he’s doing and what the outcome of all this testing will be but he is caring for us, loving us, and giving us grace through the whole process. Our prayer though is that God would use this visit to reveal what is going on inside my body or to give us direction on where to go next. Please pray with us that God would allow my symptoms to appear in such a way that it becomes clear to the doctors what is going on… and that God would allow the doctors to see just what they need to in order to determine how to help us.

It is such a comfort going into this visit knowing that even though we are unsure of the answers, God is not. We’re going in faith as we rest in his sovereign control. There is no time in our lives when we’ve not seen him be faithful and so we’re stepping out again into the “uncomfortable” trusting and knowing that our God is one who doesn’t change and will be faithful here too. Thanks for your prayers.

8 comments:

Ruth said...

I will definitely be praying for you, my friend. It was lovely to see you last night. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been wired up like that at Johns Hopkins, too. I was there for a sleep study a bazillion years ago. My visit was only overnight, though. They had kind technicians. I will pray that you experience this, too. And I will pray the Lord will reveal what is going on during this test.

Steph said...

Wow, Kristen! I will be praying for you guys!

Steph (Jenn's sis) Lightfoot

Casey Somerville said...

yay!! i'm so glad you're going in so soon! God is so very kind. (and maybe i won't have to kick anyone ;0D)

DJ told me yesterday that you'd be going in next week and i'm really glad because that means i'll be with her all week at the retreat and hopefully i can get updates :D

you were on my heart this morning especially, missing and loving you!

Anonymous said...

from Allura (Jenn and Steph's mom)
You will be in my prayers,Kristen, as you go through this week of observation. What a wonderful opportunity to get caught up on your reading and spend quantity, as well as quality, time alone with your Savior! :)

Anonymous said...

i will be praying for you.

Becca said...

praying hard for you friend! so sweet to hear your voice and see your smile the other day. :-)

Sarah said...

Praying for tomorrow...