Thursday, June 19, 2008

Meet My Friends

The most random thought dawned on me a moment ago. I have some very “different” friends who live with me these days. I would have never guessed these guys would have moved in with Joe and I… ever… let alone in our first couple months of marriage! But I can’t seem to sleep again tonight so I decided that to fill some time I would give you a little tour and introduce you to these “friends” who occupy my house with me. (excuse the super poor cell phone picture quality… it’s all I had)

First, I’d like you to meet my wheelchair. Now this is no ordinary wheelchair. This little guy is super lightweight and can fold up to fit into smaller spaces like the back seat of Joe’s car. A friend of my Grandma’s loaned it to me soon after I became sick and it has been a HUGE blessing. Because of its small size and the ability to take the foot peddles off (not shown), I’m able to shuffle around our apartment on my own without bumping into walls or anything. I also don’t go anywhere out of the house without it and only on occasions am I able to leave it in the room while I get up to walk to another room. So I spend a lot of time in it.
Aaaahhh… the couch and the various special pillows and wedges that accompany it. I will generally spend the majority of my time on most days lying right here. These pillows from my family have made a big difference. The white wedge raises my back so that there is better support at its arch. The green guy simply helps with neck support and cushion for my head. The blue wedge sits under my knees so that my legs are raised to help with blood flow. The tan pillow raises my feet and is really there simply because I like to make my feet more comfortable.

And the makeshift table that sits next to me to hold things that keep me entertained for the day. Usually added to this pile is a Gatorade bottle or two, Motrin (or some other pain reliever), something to snack on, the computer, my cell phone, etc… See the robot looking thing next to everything? Now THAT is a treasure! It’s an electronic back massager with a heating element. This has been a big blessing especially when I’m home alone and my back is killing me; brings some momentary relief that is always nice.

So that’s pretty much it. Just thought you might like to meet the friends that I spend every day with. As much as I can’t wait to be able to get rid of most of them because I don't need them, I’m so grateful for the gifts that they are. God has been kind to make this trial that much easier by providing me with things to bring a bit of physical comfort and mobility.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh, the box of tissues.

Ally said...

i love you friend!

Ruhamah said...

Kristen, I miss you! The SGM offices are just too quiet without you. Thank you for your updates here, and even more for your amazing example of faith in our Lord. I am praying for you! Can't wait to see you walk back into our office :-) ~Sarah L.

Megan said...

Those are great books you are camping out in. Some of my favorites!

Mary said...

HEY GIRLIE!!!! :D I just love reading your posts. I'm glad to see your new little "friends" that help you out! God is good and faithful! :)

I'm kinda lonely today cause my normal Catoe crew is at the beach..humph...I love the beach! :-P Maria, Becca, and I decided to knit a baby blanket for Mrs. Fell! It's going to be really cool. Who would have thought I would this into knitting?? hahah..I've already made a scarf, an ipod case for Anne, a change purse, and some other random things that I can't decide what to do with..lol ;)

I love ya Kristen and pray for you and Joe daily! The message from the ONE meeting for June is AMAZING!! If you can listen to it, I totally recommend you do! :)