Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Trip to the Store

Grocery shopping has never been so rewarding. Last night, Joe took me out in the wheelchair to go get some essentials (things like cheese, eggs, and soap). This may not seem like a big deal, but oh let me tell you, IT WAS!!!

A couple weeks ago the car ride alone had the potential to send my body into convulsions and my speech to become incredibly slurred. My brain couldn’t handle processing simple things like cars passing us, the turns and curves in the road, or sudden stops. These trips in the car let alone the activity that would follow (mainly doctor’s appointments) could wipe me out for days. But last night was a different story. I was able to endure the car ride with out much problem at all. In fact we were able to sing along to Joe’s and my rap and country mix of radio stations (suiting both our tastes!) with the windows rolled down. When we pulled into the store’s parking lot I was able to get out of the car on my own and walk to the other side where Joe had my wheelchair waiting for me. We shopped for our groceries, checked out, and began the process of heading home. I was able to do all that and with Joe’s help still walk up the stairs to our apartment upon returning home. I was exhausted but so excited that I seemed to be ok. As I got ready for bed, my body did eventually give in and I became incredibly weak and my speech turned to gibberish again. We expected that though and were rejoicing that I was able to do as much I did without that happening sooner in the process. After sleeping almost 14 hours I got up out of bed and was able to make a bowl of cereal for breakfast on my own. My normal voice has returned and I’m tired but not exhausted. This is an AMAZING work of grace. God is being so kind.

For the past week or so it seems that my health has been maintaining an “improved” state. Joe and I are always hesitant to say that I’m getting better as I’ve had a couple episodes like this before were I only end up relapsing again. But I’m soooooooo grateful for these past several days. I’ve been sleeping a lot lately… sometimes to the point that I sleep more hours then I’m awake. But I think that is mainly due to me doing more physical activity. I’m excited to say that in the past week I have been able to fold laundry, do the dishes twice, walk around the house without the wheelchair most times, and listen to a message from New Attitude with out much problem. My voice also sounds normal most of the time which is a happy thing for this talkative girl!

My prayer is that 1) this wouldn’t just be a “blip on the radar” in my health as before but that God would be healing me and 2) that I wouldn’t find my joy based in my circumstances or health but in the Lord. I find that it is a struggle when my body collapses after an activity to maintain a joyful and grateful heart. Most times it is a very real temptation to complain about my health in those moments rather then rejoicing in what God has just allowed me to do. I want my joy to be grounded in truth… not to float with the ups and downs of my circumstances.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

8 comments:

naomi mayernik said...

dear kristen,
i am friend of jen's from fairfax, and i think i may have met you at some point, but have heard jen speak of you and joe often. i saw your comment on the pray for ian blog and began to pray for you. i will keep you both in my prayers. your trust in God is amazing, i hope His Words continue to encourage you in this time.
is 35:3 Strengthen the weak hands,
and make firm the feeble knees. 4 Say to those who have an anxious heart,“Be strong; fear not!"
God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Yey for trips to the store, friend! Get better more so I can see you!!

Unknown said...

Well here's to God's grace granted through grocery store excursions. Thank you for the faith you both demonstrate. We all continue to pray for you.

Ariel said...

Kristen, reading your blog is like reading a devotional. I am so inspired by what I read. Your provoking thoughts lead me into prayer and fellowship with my Savior. Your example of contentment in your circumstances, imperfect though it may be, urges me to contentment. Perhaps, your humility in letting us know that it is a struggle for you to be content is even more helpful than if you were a perfect example because it gives me hope when I see you accomplish that goal since I, too, struggle. I'm tempted to always look to the next thing that I'm going to do in the future for joy instead of being content with serving God where I am now. Thank you for reminding us that contentment is found in the cross of Christ.

Guess what?! I'm graduating in three days! Isn't that crazy. I'm very excited, but of course I should be content with the period of waiting before hand. ;)

Casey Somerville said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Casey Somerville said...

God is so kind that you're out and about! :D It sounds like you guys had fun at your parents' house last night, too. I love picturing you on that motorized wheelchair :D vroom vroom :D

So I definitely need to go to the store too... I ran out of soap a couple of days ago so I've had to use this Bath & Body Works stuff I had somewhere. And David's out of deoderant. I'm really on the ball - such a good, prepared wife. Anyway, that's what's on the schedule for tonight. That and taking care of the pile of Na laundry that's currently still spilling out of our travel bag. And get some sleep!

Oh! I AM sending stuff up to you! I'll probably get it to DJ tomorrow.

Love you; always thinking about you (especially when I see Bass Pro Shop signs... oh, and I found that little laminated verse card you made me and the care group girls ages ago...).

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

Ok, can I just say that my heart is tha-rilled at that progress??? I can't imagine the joy that brought...as well as maybe fear that it may not last. I am so, so, so, so glad that we serve a mighty, awesome God Who gently brings us back around to trusting Him each time we frantically run to the bordering lands of "What If".

I miss you so much. I was praying for you this past weekend as the conference was going on. Neither one of us got to go - maybe next year we can go together?????

Love and prayers and hugs and tears,

Jennifer

eva said...

Rejoicing with you and continuing to pray!