Friday, April 30, 2010

Sometimes My Plans are Changed

Do you ever wake up in the morning and think you have your life or simply your day pretty much figured out? You've made plans, you've structured and organized yourself so that your agenda would happen. God has even seemed to clearly confirm through events leading to this moment that your carefully thought through agenda is the course of action for you today. You know that God is the one ultimately in control but you think you know just enough of his plan for you that you blissfully begin your scheduled day and are confident that it will all come to pass.

And then the phone call comes. Its bearing news whether great or small that completely alters all these plans. You weren't expecting it. You hadn't planned for the alternative. You don't even feel as though God had prepared you for it. You feel a bit confused and baffled at how you seemed to "misinterpret" what you thought God was revealing. What do you do?

I cried. That was my response today. I had one of those encounters. It wasn't a big deal but the change in my "agenda" hurt. I didn't understand. But in that moment, minimal as it really was, God helped me realize something greater. He LOVES me. I CAN trust him. He really is the ONLY ONE who knows the plans he has for me. After all, doesn't Proverbs 19:21 say that "Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand"?

So this morning I ran to the Psalms and God brought me to this chapter, Psalms 104. Verse after verse talks about creation. It tells us just how great God is. How he is clothed in splendor and majesty. How he is the one who set the earth on it's foundation and how the mountains rose and the valleys sank to the places that HE appointed for them.

And I was humbled. It's true, I really know nothing. I'm just a creature. And the God who made me, he is the one that sustains me. He loves me more then the birds of the air and yet he still cares for them. How much more will he care for me and my little "life agenda"?

Psalm 104:24 & 27-34

O LORD, how manifold are your works!
In wisdom have you made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures.

These all look to you,
to give them their food in due season.
When you give it to them, they gather it up;
when you open your hand, they are filled with good things.
When you hide your face, they are dismayed;
when you take away their breath, they die
and return to their dust.
When you send forth your Spirit, they are created,
and you renew the face of the ground.

May the glory of the LORD endure forever;
may the LORD rejoice in his works,
who looks on the earth and it trembles,
who touches the mountains and they smoke!
I will sing to the LORD as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have being.
May my meditation be pleasing to him,
for I rejoice in the LORD.

2 comments:

Anna L. said...

Thanks for posting this--it encouraged me!!

Miss you guys!
Anna

HeReignsOnHi said...

What a testimony that glorifies God! God has gifted you w/ the ability to put your story in just the right words...thank you and love you, both! Shari